Each week we will be highlighting important resources. Check back each Friday to see what we have dug up for you. From this week’s cache:
1. The God of the Ordinary: By Michael Horton– Horton’s blog series on “ordinary” is a must read for almost everyone. Horton notes: “Instead of detracting from God’s sovereignty, natural explanations—especially the more complex ones that display the obvious evidence of God’s design—should provoke wonder at God’s concern, wisdom, and loving involvement in every detail of our lives.”
2. Temptation is Not the Same as Sin: By Kevin DeYoung– DeYoung says: “By all means, let us be quick to repent when we sin in thought, word, or deed. Let us beseech God to forgive us our real debts. Let us also pray with frequency and fervency ‘lead us not into temptation and deliver us from the Evil One.’ Sin and temptation are not identical, but they are both threats to the Christian.”
3. Jesus Is Not Your Sin-Manager: By Owen Strachan– Strachan notes: “But make no mistake: grace never softens our thirst for obedience. It actually inspires us to go on the warpath against our unholiness. We look to the cross as believers, and we see there lavish forgiveness, but also our fundamental approach to sin. In the power of the cross, we are to kill sin. We are to realize that it is a deadly serious matter. Jesus did not die to manage our sin. He died to kill it.”
4. What Makes a Full Atonement Full?: By Mike Wittmer – Wittmer notes that: “Christus Victor explains why Jesus died, penal substitution explains how his death worked, and the double-sided moral influence and example theories explain what we should do in response.”
5. Facing Our Identity Issues: By Jonathan Dodson – Dodson notes: “We need more than confession, more than identity-of-the-moment exposure. We need sanity, to return to our true selves in Christ, in community. We need people who will point us to the redemption that is in Jesus. People that won’t let us sulk for too long, people who will reminds us that our identity isn’t victim.”
Matt Manry is the Director of Discipleship at Life Bible Church in Canton, Georgia. He is currently pursuing a Master of Arts in Religion at Reformed Theological Seminary and a Masters of Arts in Christian and Classical Studies from Knox Theological Seminary. He blogs regularly at gospelglory.net.